Friday, October 01, 2010

Tiger Shark baiting in South Africa - Part II

Most definitely not a picnic for the tiger shark!!
Photo: Wolfgang Leander
Click to enlarge


The discussion on the subject continues. That is very good news, indeed!

Here is what one of the Aliwal Shoal shark dive operators wrote to Walter Bernardis of African Watersports who is coordinating the initiative to introduce more effective baiting techniques:

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: ASCBOA list of members for CIPRO

Hi Walter

I have started using the polycop piping in conjunction with cable and though cumbersome, it definitely makes a difference.

Polycop piping is definitely the only way to go as whether it has rope or cable through it, it seems impossible, to me, that coiling can take place.

As you mentioned, polycop piping, nothing else will produce the same results, in my opinion (example hosepipe etc).

I am also busy sourcing 500-600mm hard plastic longline buoys, which I plan on turning into drums and testing to see whether viable or not, in place of the washing machine drums.

Justify Full
My thoughts on this is that similar to a dog with a soccer ball, as Wolfgang mentions, "radius" will determine whether it works or not, but a round object has no purchase points for any shark to bite into.

I don't know, it's my 5c worth, I am going to try this and will let you know how it turns out.

What do you think as I agree that this is an issue that needs to be addressed?

Cheers

XXXXX


Kudos to both Walter and XXXXX!!!



No comments: