Monday, February 02, 2009

In Shark Eden, you get to meet the same sharks year after year...

Photograph: Wolfgang Leander


Photograph: Brian Skerry


..... if they are not killed by some mindless "sport" anglers.

Brian Skerry must have photographed this tiger beauty in 2006; I took my black and white shot in November 2008, so did my dear friend and photographer extraordinaire Amanda Cotton.

How do I know it is the same shark? Well, look at the markings on the belly.

When I photographed the tiger girl, I realized that she had a hook in her mouth. I held on to her trying to take the rusty hook off, but she wouldn't let me.


Photograph: Amanda Cotton


That is what makes going back to Tiger Beach again and again so thoroughly gratifying: You establish such a deep bonding with the resident sharks that you feel like meeting friends when you are back.

I know one thing for sure: I will be diving at Tiger Beach at least once a year - until the end of my life or else when I am no longer able to hold my breath for more than 10 seconds...





1 comment:

lyn nelson said...

Yes, this Tiger Angel was so beautiful, serene and majestic. Any old fears or stereotypes i may have had were changed instantly upon her first approach. Magical! Lyn