Friday, July 04, 2014

Is my Underwater Photography "Art"?



A craft, perhaps, but Ila France-Porcher considers my shark photography to be artistic.

I have to admit, false modesty aside, that I feel quite flattered by it, as I admire multi-talented Ila for being an accomplished author and a sensitive painter*), a very professional and competent non-academic shark ethologist, and, last not least, a deeply passionate shark lover and eloquent shark advocate.

So, having her review my work is indeed a much valued privilege, and it fills me with honor. I cannot say it any other way.

If you, dear Reader, haven't heard of Ila France-Porcher, you ought to know also that she is one of those rare shark people who have such a healthy ego that it doesn't have to be constantly pumped up like a cracked bicycle tire... She has neither an organization behind her, nor is she her own PR-manager; she is she, and doesn't need to be more than that.  

Here is Ila's article as published in the latest international issue of the prestigious X-Ray-Magazine. 

*) I have one of Ila's Tiger Shark paintings that captured the essence of tiger sharks far better than any of the best photographs of these incredibly expressive, strong, yet most gentle creatures I have ever seen - including my own images, of course...   :-)  :-)





8 comments:

Raul Boesel Jr. said...

Being one of the first pioneers to freedive and photograph sharks, not only did you blaze the trail for the rest of the community, your love for sharks and staying true to film shows in your amazing photography! Thanks, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you

Wolfgang said...

Thank you for your kind words, Raul. You exaggerate, of course, but if that is the way you feel, be my guest... :-)

Unknown said...

Your work is definitively artistic. The result is not a matter of technology but by seeking out the situation and composing the images in terms of proportions, shadows and light, movement and ambience. I know of no others who can do it like that and of few others who inspire me and from whom I would like to learn.

It's as simple as that. Your images have a rare elegance that I both enjoy and admire

Ila France Porcher said...

Indeed your work is ART, Wolf, and it was a pleasure for me to write a few words in tribute to it while perusing them as we put the display together. Thanks so much for your kind words!

The Sharkman said...

There is no question about it.....your photos are a TRUE and UNIQUE ART.... and to think that each one of them is caught on ONE breath of air!!! How many can actually do that?

You deserve the praise, as does Ila for her work as well.

Thank you for sharing them Wolfie.

Wolfgang said...

OMG!! - I would have never expected so many compliments. What else than this can I say? -

Thank you very much to all of you!!

HowardGrace said...

Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design. Cheers wildlife & travel photography training program

Unknown said...

I recently discovered your blog and have now been reading along. I believed I could leave my first comment. I don't know very well what to express except that I've enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I could keep visiting this blog very often.environmental journalism courses