Monday, June 01, 2009

Carlos Eyles - Waterman

Any freediver / spear-fisher should know of Carlos Eyles - he is old school and really one of the first of few to venture into what now is called blue-water hunting. He was part of a tribe, a select few that dove in the Sea of Cortez in the 1960s.

As with most people of that generation, they were drawn to the sea to hunt - but they always had a deep respect for the Ocean and a real code of ethics that so many have lost today.

As Carlos Eyles became older, he eventually switched the spear gun for a camera (sounds like a familiar story - come to think of it, he even looks like my old man)...I am sure once in a while he still gets his own dinner.

Eyles wrote several books about his experience - most excellent reads, beautifully written - anyone with any draw to the ocean will relate immediately to his work.

As I was telling my friend Nico about him he told me that there was a movie coming out about him: Waterman. Below is the trailer - it is definitely worth a watch.



1 comment:

the One called "Bitey"... said...

awesome! I can't wait - I loved reading The Blue Edge, and it really helped change my stance on spearfishing (I still don't like it, but I don't criticize anymore - most spearos know what and when to shoot, and don't kill unnecessarily... most of them...).