Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hooked on Tigers

Tiger Beach (Bahamas)
Photo: Wolfgang Leander
Click on image to enlarge


I free-dived 52 years ago for the first time in my life in southern France, and to this day I can still fully relive the overwhelming sensation of being able to enter into another world, Cousteau's silent blue world, and weightlessly swim in it....


Free-diving with tiger sharks for the first time in my life, only two weeks ago in the Bahamas, left me as breathless as back then, in 1955...


To swim with tigers spoiled me completely - all other sharks I have seen and swam with, even large ones, pale in comparison.

No other sharks have a stronger expression of character than tiger sharks: The square head, the blunt front, the comparatively large mouth, often tightly shut - and those inquisitive, intelligently looking black eyes...

I have not dived with sharks more gentle than the tigers of the undersea world.

I feel reborn as I am hooked on tiger sharks, never to be released again from the spell of an animal that is almost as old as God himself...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful shots! You take the best photos, seriously. I also liked your qualification of what "dangerous" means at the bottom; that's something that's all too-often forgotten.

Wolfgang Leander said...

Very kind of you - I humbly accept your compliment!